Leaking Roofs and Filing Claims
When you own a home, there are a lot of risks involved. More than that, owning a home is a major investment. It’s important to take care of and maintain your home so that it lasts as long as it should. One area that will require a large portion of your attention is the roof, especially after a storm. If your home has been affected by storm damage, you may need to file a claim. Before you do go through filing a roof insurance claim in Mills and Casper, WY reach out to Beartooth Exteriors, Inc. We can help you determine what the best course of action is for you. Dial (307) 224-4912 to get started today.
Insurance Claim for Roof Leak
There are quite a few misconceptions regarding home insurance claims, specifically about the roof. residential roofing is not entirely or inherently covered by your insurance provider. In regards to roof damage, there is a list of things known as “covered perils”. These can be:
- Damage caused by hail
- Damage caused by wind
- Damaged caused by tree branches
Basically, any event that could be considered an “act of God” or rather, something you had no control over. When unpredictable situations negatively affect your property, insurance will more than likely cover you for repairs.
So how does a roof insurance claim work really? They work like this. When you file a claim, you are telling your provider something happened to your home that threatens the safety and integrity of the structure. Since they have financial stock in your home, they want to make sure it is in a functioning condition. They will send an inspector out to asses the damage that you have alleged. In doing so, they are looking for signs that the damage was either caused by one of the covered perils or that it was caused by something else. As mentioned, your home and your roof are not inherently covered by insurance. What that means is, if your roof becomes damaged by hail because you neglected to take care of it for 20-years, that will not be covered by insurance. Yes, the hail caused significant damaged, but there is the real possibility it may not have happened had you taken care of your roof. Whereas, if there is clear evidence you have maintained your roof over the years and there is still significant hail damage then your claim will more than likely be covered by insurance.
How to File Roofing Insurance Claim
When it comes to filing roofing insurance claims for storm damage, the steps can vary depending on the situation. Generally speaking, though, there is a typical process that most homeowners will go through when filing a claim.
- Inspection: If your home has been affected to any degree by a storm, the first thing you should do is schedule an inspection. Before you call your insurance provider, it’s important to understand the extent of the damage as well as the cause. It can be easy to say it was the hail, but there could be underlying factors that aren’t covered by insurance.
- Report: After the inspection is done, if the contractor determines it was storm damage that caused the majority of the damage, you can then go through with the claim. A professional inspection will provide you with a report that includes exactly where the damage is, the cause, repair estimates, photos and more.
- File: With the report, you will file your claim with your insurance provider. By starting with the inspection and going into the claims process, you’ll be saving yourself quite a bit of stress. More importantly, you’ll make the process that much easier for everyone.
- Repair: After your claim has been filed, your insurance provider will decide whether or not to pay out for repairs. If they do, you can schedule an appointment with a reputable team, like Beartooth Exteriors, Inc, to begin repairs.
Filing a home insurance claim always feels like a stressful and complicated ordeal. It can even be tempting to avoid insurance altogether and just pay for any storm damage roof repair in Mills and Casper, WY out of pocket. But don’t be stressed out by horror stories. Instead, rely on the professional expertise of Beartooth Exteriors, Inc contractors. We can help you through the entire claims process from inspection to repairs. We’ll even help if another company or adjuster has completed the repair estimates.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is roof repair covered by insurance?
- Roof repair will by covered by insurance when it is caused by a covered peril. Those are often listed in your home insurance documentation, but you should contact your provider to get an understanding of what is and isn’t covered.
- What is a roof exclusion?
- This is a section of your insurance policy that could prevent your insurance carrier from paying out for roof repairs, even in the event of a wind or hail storm. Many homeowners in at risk areas may see this kind of exclusion in their insurance policy.
- Is water damage from leaking roof covered by insurance?
- Most standard insurance policies will cover any damage caused by a leak, unless it is discovered the leak and damage were the result of gross negligence on your part.
- Will a new roof lower my insurance?
- Yes, installing or receiving a new roof should lower your home insurance premiums. This may not be the case for everyone, so before you go through with the process, make sure to contact your carrier for more information.
- Can I make an insurance claim for a leaking roof?
- You can, but it’s important to know before hand whether or not filing will actually be beneficial for you. That’s why it’s recommended to get a roof inspection by a reliable company, like Beartooth Exteriors, Inc, before going through with the claims process.
Call to Schedule Your Appointment With Us Today
When you need help with a roof insurance claim in Mills and Casper, WY, dial (307) 224-4912 to connect with the experts at Beartooth Exteriors, Inc. We are here to help you.